We are often asked to be ourselves, which is so easy to understand, but so hard to practice. When it comes to being yourself, there could be a lot of pressure from everywhere around because everybody's trying to influence you - purposely. So you're not sure who you should follow, you're not sure if people are telling you to be yourself, should be yourself, or they are just bullshitting; it's just such a buzz and overcoming sound in your ears.
When you deeply know yourself and know your boundaries, you are more likely to experience a fulfilling life. But if you don't, you can be easily pushed around by the influencers around you.
So here are the things that I figured out while living around for over four decades.
Since I was a kid, I've tried to fall into the same group of people as others, but I was never successful. It always felt wrong when I tried being someone I am not. I always thought something was wrong with me because I was different. I was blunt and straightforward. After all, I knew what I wanted. I knew I didn't want to be like everybody else, but I was afraid I wouldn't be excepted. So I tried being someone I was not. But I still was not accepted. While growing up, I always wondered why, but now, being a grown-up, I'm not weeping over those days anymore because now I know who I am and what I want.
It took me many years to work on myself. And I continue to work on these things:
- always fit in alignment with my values and beliefs
- It took me forever to establish my own identity, but I did. I think my foundation of me being me is pretty solid. Whatever comes across my path, even sometimes if I slide over on the other side, I always come back to me.
- I built the courage to be me. It takes a significant amount of courage when you decide to take the path that goes against the crowd; the majority of people take the broad approach because it's easy. Right, it's easy to follow the group, but it's so challenging and so rewarding always to be yourself to take the courage and build that inner strength. No matter what comes your way, you know you will somehow handle it.
- I did establish my boundaries because they are critical in your life to let you be who you are. When you set your boundaries, people don't walk over you anymore or take advantage of you anymore, and you have open radars of the newcomers who are about to try to walk over you, and you stop them on time.
- And also, I found a focus and direction in my life.
- and I work on my daily mantra: Today, I am
So, all in all, as it sometimes does feel shitty to be You, never stop being yourself. Show it with your talk, beliefs, lifestyle, clothes, and everything that makes it be you You.